Rules for the annual selection of The Best Dutch Book Designs – Revised November 2022.
The object of the Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken is annually to select a minimum of thirty and a maximum of thirty-three books deemed to distinguish themselves by the whole of their artistic design, typography, illustrations, printing and other aspects of their technical production and presentation; consideration is also given to the relationship between form and content.
The purpose of the competition is to focus attention on and promote appreciation of book design and production in general and the Dutch book in particular. The Stichting also hopes the challenge will encourage publishers and other commissioners of printed books to give higher priority to the design and technical production of their publications.
The list of publications selected by an independent panel of judges will be circulated to the media and at a later date the books themselves will be highlighted in an exhibition to which publicity will be given both in the Netherlands and abroad. An accompanying catalogue will be published. Details and illustrations of all the books selected, together with the judges’ report, will be published at the website www.debestverzorgdeboeken.nl.
In these rules the following terms shall have the meanings set forth against them:the Stichting: Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken;books: books and other products produced as an edition, on paper or an equivalent medium, which in the opinion of the judges may be deemed equivalent to books;selection: the inclusion of a book or books in the list referred to in clause 8 below.
In these rules the following terms shall have the meanings set forth against them:
- the Stichting: Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken;
- books: books and other products produced as an edition, on paper or an equivalent medium, which in the opinion of the judges may be deemed equivalent to books;
- selection: the inclusion of a book or books in the list referred to in clause 8 below.
- The annual selection consists of a minimum of thirty and no more than thirty-three books particularly distinguished by the care taken in their design, typography, illustrations, printing and other technical aspects.
- To be eligible for selection a book must fulfil at least two of the three following requirements. Irrespective of the language in which it is published, it must have been:|
a. published by a publisher established in the Netherlands;
b. designed (design and lay-out) by a person of Dutch nationality or resident in the Netherlands;
c. printed by a printing business and/or lithographed by a lithography business and/or bound by a binding business established in the Netherlands.
- The judging panel (or panel of judges) consists of an odd number of judges with a minimum of five.
- Judges will be appointed by the Board of the Stichting.
- Where possible, the panel of judges will include:
a. two graphic designers;
b. an expert drawn from the printing industry;
c. an expert drawn from the book-publishing sector;
d. an expert in the field of graphic design or book design and production in general.
- Judges are appointed for two judging years spread over no more than four calendar years, subject to an extension of one year spread over no more than two calendar years.
- Appointment to the panel of judges takes effect on 1 November except in the case of an interim appointment.
- Reappointment is permitted five years following the end of a previous appointment.
- The panel appoints a chairman from among its number.
- The Director of the Stichting acts as non-voting secretary to the judges.
- Members of the panel receive from the Stichting a remuneration for their work as judges. They also receive travel expenses on the basis of 1st class public transport plus any hotel etc. expenses.
- Decisions by the panel are taken by a simple majority of the members present.
- The panel may consult advisers. Requests for the appointment of an adviser must be addressed to the Director of the Stichting, whose decision is binding.
- The Stichting invites publishers, clients, graphic designers, printers and anyone else involved in the production of books to submit books for consideration.
- Individual members of the judging panel may also make direct requests for the submission of one or more titles, subject to the condition that those responding to such an approach accept these rules with the exception of clause 5 section 4, which in such cases is inoperative.
- Books submitted for consideration must be accompanied by a completed form made available in digital form.
- The form referred to in section 1 above must be returned to the office of the Stichting together with two copies of the book concerned. In the event that a book submitted is voted one of the Best Dutch Book Designs, you will be asked to provide a further 7 copies free of charge.
- The proposer of a book for inclusion in the list must declare their willingness, in the event that the book in question is selected, to provide the Stichting, free of charge, with up to seven extra copies thereof for exhibitions, media contacts and archiving.
- A book submitted will not be actively considered for inclusion until the requisite entry fee has been paid. The entry fee is €75 for the first book submitted and €50 for each book submitted thereafter by the same submitter. These amounts are exclusive of value added tax at the prevailing rate (21% at the time of this revision).
- Students at colleges in the Netherlands and those who graduated from a college in the Netherlands in the preceding year are exempt from entry fees, subject to the condition that in the additional information field in the entry form they state the name of the college, the year, if it is an autonomous project or an assignment that is part of the curriculum (in that case the supervisor must have given permission), the name of their supervisor. Students that submit an entry have cleared possible rights that the academy can have; the foundation De Best Verzorgde Boeken is not responsible for possible claims from academies.
In the case of multivolume publications a single volume or the entire publication may be submitted and selected. Following the selection of a single volume the remaining volumes of the same publication cease to be eligible for selection.
- Submission for selection is open to any book published in the calendar year preceding the year of the competition.
- Any book submitted will be deemed to have been published in the year stated in the book itself unless the submitter provides evidence that it was published in another year.
- In any year the panel of judges for that year will compile a list of the Best Dutch Book Designs from the books submitted before the closing date and time for submissions; this list will be made known to the Board of the Stichting no later than 15 March.
- In arriving at their selection the judges will give due consideration to the differences that may arise from the nature of the books submitted, and in order to ensure a level playing field the panel may institute particular categories in which books will be selected.
- Precluded from selection by the judges are all books in whose production one or more of the judges was involved. Such books are judged by a shadow panel.
- The shadow panel is appointed, as and when necessary, by the Board of the Stichting. Its members are as far as possible selected in the same way as set out in 3.3 above. Whenever possible its members are former members of the panel of judges for The Best Dutch Book Designs.
- The provisions made in these rules regarding members of the panel of judges apply mutatis mutandis to the members of the shadow panel. No member of the shadow panel may take part in the judging of a book if they have been involved in its production.
- The shadow panel makes its recommendations known to the Stichting before the main panel of judges has completed its work.
- The panel of judges has the right to reject the recommendations of the shadow panel in whole or in part if it believes rejection is necessary in the interests of maintaining a balanced composition of the overall selection.
- The panel of judges ensures that the selection is accompanied by a report in which, in addition to its assessment of each book selected, it states the criteria applied in arriving at the final list.
- No correspondence will be entered into regarding either the selection made by the panel of judges and the submissions made by the shadow panel or the text of the judges’ report.
- The public announcement of the books selected and release of the judges’ report will be made at a time determined by the Board of the Stichting.
- In advance of the announcement and release referred to in the preceding section no public statements regarding them will be made by members of either the panel of judges or the shadow panel.
In all cases not provided for by these rules or regarding which no agreement can be arrived at regarding the application of these rules, the panel will consult the Director of the Stichting. Any ruling given by the Director of the Stichting will be binding on the panel.
Privacy Notice, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken
In providing its services, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken (the foundation which holds the annual selection of The Best Dutch Book Designs), registered office Herengracht 166, 1016 BP Amsterdam, must from time to time make use of personal and other information (or ‘data’). This includes processing personal information required in handling the entry of books for the annual judging of the Best Dutch Book Designs in January. Book entries are made through the website www.debestverzorgdeboeken.nl.
This Privacy Notice explains how Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken uses this information. Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken operates in accordance with the privacy rules set out in the Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens/Personal Data Protection Act and Telecomunicatiewet/Telecommunications Act.
1. What information does Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken process?
1.1 To be able to use the entry form for the Best Dutch Book Designs a visitor to the website must first create an account. This requires the entry of an email address. The creation of an account therefore means that Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken has access to the account holder’s email address.
1.2 As part of the process of recording an entry for the Best Dutch Book Designs, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken also requires other details such as the name of the person creating the account, the name of the company, its physical address and/or registered address, and a telephone number.
1.3 In addition to the particulars referred to above, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken also collects automatically generated information about surfing history on the www.debestverzorgdeboeken.nl website. This information consists of the user’s IP address and functional cookies.
2. What use is made of this information?
2.1 Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken uses personal information, acquired as described above, first and foremost for the creation of an account with which an entrant can enter one or more books for the selection process. Second, information is used for processing the entry. This information, together with the data relating to the books entered, is also made available to the specialist panel of judges to support the judging process. Personal details are also used in creating the invoices sent to entrants. These invoices, which are linked to the entry forms, are kept for a minimum of seven years.
2.2 Provided that the entrant has given the appropriate consent on the entry form, personal information is retained with active status for a period of three years in order once a year to draw the entrant’s attention to the start of the following entry period.
2.3 The information received by Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken in connection with entries placed with it is also used for the collection of statistical data in order to gain insight into the use and target group of Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken and/or its website for the purpose of improving the design of its website and further optimizing the service provided by Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken.
2.4 For all other matters Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken uses information and data exclusively in so far as express consent has been given by the provider thereof.
3. Communication to third parties
3.1 Information regarding the books submitted is shared with third parties such as partners and sponsors. However, personal information and data are never divulged.
3.2 As indicated above, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken uses personal information for the compilation of statistics. The information Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken provides to its partners and/or sponsors is confined exclusively to fully anonymized statistical data.
3.3 Where required by law, Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken may provide personal information and data to government agencies or judicial authorities.
3.4 In all other circumstances Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken will pass on personal information and data to third parties solely as express consent therefor has been given by the visitor to the website.
4.1 Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken uses so-called functional cookies. These allow Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken to recognize returning visitors to the website so that it can be tailored to your personal preferences. This in turn means there is no need to enter your preferences every time you visit the site: you save time and have a more agreeable user experience. Functional cookies can be removed using the settings in your browser.
Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken is responsible for effective security of personal information and data. In the event of a data breach those affected will be alerted by Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken.
6. Viewing, correcting and changing information and data
Anyone registering with Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken may at any time request sight and/or correction or removal of the information and data that Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken keeps about them. Requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Changes to Privacy Notice
Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken may from time to time add to or make changes to this Privacy Notice. Important and/or fundamental changes will be communicated clearly through the News page on the website. By registering with Stichting De Best Verzorgde Boeken after changes have been made to the website the registrant signifies their acceptance of any changes. To keep track of changes, visit this page regularly.